Terwilliger House

Visiting Hours: Wednesday and Friday: 11:00am-3:00pm
Please call the Ellenville Public Library Museum (845)647-5530 to make an appointment.

Christ Lutheran Church

Christ Lutheran Church and Parsonage, originally the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ellenville, is a historic Lutheran church and parsonage located at Ellenville, Ulster County, New York. The church was built in 1862 in the Greek Revival style. It was moved, enlarged, reoriented, and completely remodeled in 1903–1904 in the Gothic Revival style when moved to its present location. It is a roughly L-shaped building, with a T-shaped main block consisting of a 1+1⁄2-story, gable-roofed front block and 1+1⁄2-story gable-roofed rear block. Appended to it is a 1-story addition. It features a two-tiered, square bell tower, central front entrance flanked by blind bays, and Gothic arched stained glass windows. The parsonage is a 2-story, three-bay-wide, Greek Revival–style brick dwelling built about 1850.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. It is located in the Ellenville Downtown Historic District.

Image Taken by Doug Kerr

Quaker Meeting House

Greenfield Park SchoolHouse

The Greenfield Park One Room Schoolhouse is located in the town of Wawarsing in Ulster County, New York, United States. This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1830 and was home to grades one through eight. It was operated by one teacher and one school trustee. Its former students restored it to its present condition after forming the “Greenfield Park Historical Association” in 1960.

It became a museum on June 27, 1965 and named the “Greenfield Park Museum” or “Greenfield Park One Room Schoolhouse Museum”. Many pieces of the memorabilia contained in the schoolhouse are original. The building is about 30 feet wide by 45 feet long. It has a large Pot bellied stove for heat, but has no electricity or water. The original two student desks with fold down seats are there, as well as ink wells and slate blackboard. There are small two-seater outhouses (boys and girls separate) on the outside, for girls on the left side and for boys on the right side of the building. Among the preserved memorabilia is a teacher’s contract of a $5 a week salary, plus 3 weeks paid vacation in the summer if the trustee felt like it. The names of all the teachers over the years were tabulated on a wall roster.

The date given when this building was erected is 1830, and records indicate that this schoolhouse was already in use prior to 1836. In those days, as throughout rural America, the school district for this community, known then as Greenfield, included this one room schoolhouse for all eight elementary grades, with one school trustee and one teacher.

All the children of the community attended the one room school. Their number varied yearly but often there were more than 35 attending school. They ranged from the tiny tot, just entering first grade, to the teenager who had advanced to the eighth grade, all taught by the same teacher.
School taxes as late as 1893 ranged from four cents to $8.90; and the school teacher who was usually unmarried, lived either at the home of the trustee or with one of the families in the school district, and received then a salary of $6 a week.

The building was still in use in 1938 but ceased functioning shortly after when it moved to more modern facilities.
Many of those boys and girls continued beyond the Greenfield school to become lawyers, doctors, and surgeons, some of national repute. Many others entered the hotel and resort business and are equally well known in their field of endeavor.

The initial step to restore this schoolhouse was taken by Morris Kanfer, a pupil of this school. With the help of David Levinson and under the guidance and supervision of Ben Miller, both one time students of this school, the project was completed. Aaron Feldherr, postmaster of Greenfield Park was advisor, advocate and secretary-treasurer of the project from its inception.
It was dedicated in June, 1965 and its oldest living pupil, Mary Patmore who was 96 at the time, cut a ribbon marking the official opening of the museum. Another pupil, Dr. Samuel Standar, a prominent surgeon and teacher, delivered the principal address.

Kuhlmann, Pamela (2009). Wawarsing. Arcadia Publishing. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-7385-6260-5.

The Hunt Memorial Building

The Hunt Memorial Building in Ellenville, NY, is a historical landmark with a rich legacy dating back to its inception in 1917. This neoclassical structure was built with funds from John R. Hunt, a local philanthropist, intended as the local headquarters for the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Frank Estabrook, a noted architect from Newburgh, designed the building to serve dual functions: to offer rented office spaces generating income, and to act as a community center for public use.

Throughout the mid-20th century, the Hunt Memorial Building remained a cornerstone of Ellenville’s downtown scene, alongside the post office and the Wayside Inn. Over the years, it hosted various tenants, including a community newspaper, a sustainable wood and forestry products company, and a stuffed toy factory. Despite this, the building faced structural challenges and urban decline, reflecting the broader economic struggles of the region.

In the 1990s, the building faced further challenges when it lost its major tenants. Efforts by subsequent owners to revitalize it were unsuccessful until local preservationists formed the Hunt Memorial Preservation Committee. Their goal was to restore the building’s historical and architectural significance.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, the Hunt Memorial Building is a symbol of Ellenville’s heritage. It’s part of the Ellenville Downtown Historic District, and efforts to restore it involve a combination of public and private funding. The building continues to play an active role in the community, hosting major events like festivals, races, and art shows. Its ongoing restoration reflects the community’s commitment to preserving its rich historical legacy and contributing to the downtown’s revival.